King’s Lynn Town 0 Peterborough Sports 1

Old boy Michael Gash scored an injury-time goal to consign 10-man Lynn to defeat on their final home appearance of the season.

Lynn striker Jonny Margetts was controversially red-carded five minutes into the second half, but they were comfortable enough with just 10 men. But just as the game looked like petering out, Gash struck, turning and curling a beautiful effort past keeper Paul Jones.

Results elsewhere simply confirmed Lynn’s National League North survival, but it was not the way Lynn would want to sign off at The Walks.

“We should all be pleased, really shouldn't we, but I’m annoyed," said Linnets boss Adam Lakeland. "I don't think we deserved to lose the game, to be honest. I felt when we went down to 10 men, which we've obviously all seen it back, it's not a red card. I didn't think it was a red card at the time, but having watched it back it is not a red.

"I felt with 10 men we were the better team second-half. They only looked a threat when they played on the break few times because (Brandon) Njoku is quick and (Josh) McCammon on the right-hand side. JC (Josh Coulson) made a great block, but Paul Jones has had nothing to do.

"Gutted for the players that they've gone and lost it late on, it's a good strike by Gash, but we should be cuter and know he's only going to come in on his strong side. That's just come after their keeper’s made a big save off Gabby (Rogers), we were unlucky with the rebound.

"We wanted to finish our season at home on a high with a good performance and a win. We didn't get as good a performance as we hoped and we've obviously lost the game, which is frustrating."

Lakeland kept faith with the same starting XI that beat Chorley on Tuesday.

There was a scare for Lynn on 10 minutes when Njoku outwitted Coulson to go one on one with Jones only for the keeper to deny him with his legs, with Dan Jarvis curling the follow-up effort against the crossbar.

It was a close as either side got in the opening half, but with less than five minutes gone in the second half, Lynn were reduced to 10 men when Margetts brought down Dan Lawlor and referee Lewis Dawson showed him a red card – when a yellow would surely have been a fair punishment.

Dylan Crowe fired an effort just wide of the left post, perhaps the closest Lynn had come to scoring.

Lynn produced their best moments of the match in the aftermath of the dismissal, but still had Coulson to thank for a superb block as Dan Jarvis pulled the trigger in the area.

Lynn sub Rogers forced keeper Peter Crook into a fine save, but it was old boy Gash who settled the issue.

King’s Lynn Town: Jones, Barrows (Rogers 89), McFadden, Taylor, Coulson (C), Crowe, Hargreaves, Morrison, Walker (Stephens 82), Devonport (Cybulski 46), Margetts. Subs not used: Dixon-Hodge, Hughes.

Peterborough Sports: Crook, Tootle (Myer 80), Ahui, Fryatt, Johnson, Lawlor (Alban-Jones 56), McCammon, Jones (Gash 80), Jarvis, McCauley, Njoku. Subs not used: Miles, Pereira.

Goal: Gash 90

Att: 1,624