A house has caught fire in a village close to the Norfolk Broads.

The home in Moor Road, Sutton, near Stalham, went up in flames at around 6pm.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at 6.03pm and crews remained on scene until receiving a stop message just after 7pm. 

Summer Slade, whose home backs onto the property on fire, believes it has been abandoned for more than 20 years. 

She said: "I was outside in my mum's garden and I heard some popping noises - I thought it was fireworks so I thought I'd go over and watch them.

"When I got a bit closer I saw the smoke so I thought maybe it was a bonfire, but it was just too big.

"When I saw the flames I just ran inside and my mum called 999."

She added that she was initially scared she and her family would have to leave their home.

"I'm just a bit speechless," she said. "I didn't expect this to happen - I was literally getting ready to leave because we didn't know if it would spread."